Underage Drinking Defense Attorneys in Cobb County
Protect Your Child's Future with a Seasoned Defense
At Smith, Schnatmeier, Dettmering & Kilgo, LLP, we understand that facing Minor in Possession charges in Cobb County, Georgia, can be a daunting experience. Our dedicated team of attorneys is here to provide expert legal representation for both parents and their children in these challenging situations.
How Minor in Possession Laws Work in Georgia
In Georgia, the law prohibits anyone under the age of 21 from possessing or consuming alcoholic beverages. This legislation, commonly known as the "Minor in Possession" law, is stringent and its enforcement can have significant implications on a young person's life.
Consequences and Penalties for Minor in Possession Charges
If your child is convicted of a Minor in Possession charge in Cobb County, they may face various consequences and penalties, including:
- Criminal Record: A conviction can result in a permanent criminal record, which can affect educational and employment opportunities in the future.
- Fines: Fines for MIP convictions can be substantial, placing financial strain on both the young person and their family.
- Community Service: Courts often require MIP offenders to complete community service as part of their sentence.
- Suspension of Driver's License: The court may suspend the offender's driver's license for up to six months, creating transportation challenges for school or work.
- Alcohol Education Programs: Offenders may be required to attend alcohol education or substance abuse programs.
- Probation: Some may be placed on probation, requiring regular check-ins with a probation officer.
- Insurance Premiums: A MIP conviction can lead to increased auto insurance premiums.
- Impact on College Admissions: Many colleges and universities consider criminal records when evaluating applications.
How Our Attorneys Can Help
The attorneys at Smith, Schnatmeier, Dettmering & Kilgo, LLP understand the stress and uncertainty that come with these charges. We are dedicated to defending your child's rights and future. Our approach involves scrutinizing the circumstances surrounding the arrest, challenging the evidence presented, and exploring all possible defenses.
We work closely with parents and guardians, keeping them informed and involved throughout the process. Our aim is to minimize the impact of the charges on your child's life and future opportunities.
Why Choose Smith, Schnatmeier, Dettmering & Kilgo, LLP?
Choosing our law firm means choosing a team of skilled attorneys with years of experience in handling minor in possession cases. We understand the complexities of Georgia's underage drinking laws and are committed to providing a strong defense for your child.
We believe that one mistake should not define your child's future. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and answer any questions you may have. Let us help guide you through this challenging time and work towards the best possible outcome for your child.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can protect your child against a minor in possession charge.